View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You've got some great amps. Everything I read mentioned that the DS, Smallbox, and PT are better than the Runt amps but also much more costly. The Runt 20 at $1300 US ($1700 CAD) is probably more than I'll spend. Hoping I'll have a chance to A/B it against the new Marshall DSL.

What guitar(s) are you playing through the Friedman? How about the cab?
I took my older DSL (401) to a jam last week and I'm still liking it, but not like the DS40 I just got by scanning the internet looking for good prices, which I found and led to this purchase. Even though the DS40 and Smallbox are bordering on being $3,000 amps there are $2,400 range offerings on both if you look at Reverb, where I picked mine up.

The truth is, I don't want a whole bunch of guitar amps, but I kept buying hoping to find a single amp capable of making me get rid of the rest. The Marshalls and Splawn came closest to getting there, but there really is some special magic in the two Friedmans I liked so far. There is some really special stuff going on with the RedPlate too, but I think I'd probably be needing more like a Magica than the 6v6 Phoenix I have right now.

As for guitars, I'm just getting ready to sell off my PRS Cu22 and am now playing an Ibanez S540 as my main guitar, although I might be playing my JEM if I hadn't left it at a friends house in Seattle.

The speakers I'm using for the DS40 is just the internal creamback Celestion it came with but to hear it, you'd think I was actually playing through a cab and not an open back combo. Incredible bottom end and I've actually got it set to 4 on the bass.

I'd say come over and try them out against each other but with your location, you'd best find some other members closer by.

Let us know what you think as you play through other amps you're interested in. It's always great to live vicariously through the adventures of others too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212