View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
2) If one likes the way his guitar sounds mic'd through an SM57 / SM 58 / etc (or other relatively inexpensive mic), I don't see the point in buying/renting a high-end condenser mic to use with the Tonedexter. Seems to me if you want your guitar to sound like it does mic'd through an SM57, then you should use the SM57 with the Tondexter.

3) Lots of people play with feedback-busters on their acoustics, which will muffle the actual acoustic sound. I'm assuming that one could use the Tonedexter to record/train the sound WITHOUT the feedback-buster on, but then play the guitar through the Tonedexter WITH the feedback-buster on and still get a very good results.

4) Similarly, I wonder if one cold record/train with the Tone Dexter using (insert favorite brand of strings here and age of strings), but then play back later with some other set of strings and get most of the sound associated with the (insert favorite brand here) ? Think "I love the sound of Martin Titanium strings" but I don't like paying $40 a set for them. So, buy ONE set of the strings and train with the Tonedexter, but later play back through the ToneDexter using Martin Retros (as an example), instead. Might still get most of the benefit of the higher-dollar strings (tone-wise) without having to continually buy high-dollar sets? Or maybe be able to play OLD strings a lot longer through the Tondexter and still get "new string" sound?
2- If you LIKE the sound of an SM57, then stick with that. No is forcing you to use a mike you don't want.

3- Consider losing the feedback buster altogether. You don't want it while training and with the phase/EQ control of the Tonedexter, you may not need it onstage (as long as you are using the Tonedexter!).

4- Unlikely. Tonedexter works by measuring the difference between what the mike hears and what the SBT/UST hears AT ONE POINT IN TIME. It is not continually recalculating AFAIK. So it will sound best when you have the same strings as when you trained, but when you have cheap/old strings the result will be muffled.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci