View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 03:00 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto
I dont understand how shaving the bridge would really do anything for the action unless you did one of two things (or both):

1. Removed the old bridge and replace with a shorter one
or
2. Rout the saddle slot deeper so you can lower the saddle assuming that it's as low as it can go already.

Just shaving off the top will accomplish nothing except make the saddle slot shallow.

I think choice #1 should only be done by a qualified luthier. I'd say the same holds true for #2 for the most part, although I've toyed with the idea of routing my saddle slot deeper on my classical to lower the action. But the bridge on my classical has alot of meat on it and the string tensions are nothing as compared to a steel string.
Shaving the bridge is one way to achieve a lower action in a guitar where the saddle is already lowered as much as possible-ie you can't lower it any further because it is almost even level with the top of the bridge already. By shaving the top of bridge down you expose more of the saddle, allowing you to then lower the saddle some more.
Some bridges are very thick-much thicker than is actually needed to support the saddle (ie you can thin the bridge and not risk it's splitting becasue of the strain the saddle puts on it being torqued by the strings). Thinning the bridge can 1) allow you to acheive a lower action than you otherwise might be able to without shaving it and 2) decreases the weight of the bridge-decreasing the "damping" effect of the bridge on the top of the guitar, improving the amount of energy that the strings can transfer to the top. (theoretical).

I've had the bridge on one of my Martins shaved down a bit by a very very knowledgeable luthier, at the same time he ramped the bridge slots to optimize the string angle. The amount he shaved the bridge was approx. 3/128 of an inch (between 1/64 and 1/8") and not noticeable at all when looking at the guitar. The action is absolutely perfect-plays like butter and sounds wonderful.
If you are thinking about having bridge work done be sure to take it to somebody who knows what they are doing.

Some info on bridges and saddles from Frets.Com;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi.../saddle01.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-18-2004 at 03:09 PM.