View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Jack

Save your money and look for a used T355 or a Guild F212. You won't be sorry.

I also highly recommend playing a lot of 12's before you commit - they are very different and only a few work really well for fingerstyle. My Martin D12-28 is a beautiful guitar but I would trade down any day for a Taylor for finger picking. One nice things about Taylors (and Guilds) is that they seem to be pretty consistant - if you play one in a store and like it chance are one on evil bay will sound about the same. The same can't necessarily be said about Martin.

For fingerstyle the most desirable Martins are the 12 fret D12-20 and some of the J's - the dreads (like mine) tend to be better strummer/flat pickers.

You might also want to check out the Carvin cobalt. They have a return policy that would let you try first. I don't care for the barn door in the side but you would be getting an new 12 with factory warranty.

Older inexpensive 12's have a habit of self destructing - I would suggest looking very carefully a them structurally (Tak, Yamaha, etc). Braces, bridge, neck angle, action are all suspect. Ask the previous owner how he strings and tunes - I would stay away from guitars that have been tuned to concert for longs periods of time.

Good luck and don't be in a hurry