View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I'm no expert, but if the output of the unit is line-level, then you shouldn't need anything but a 1/4" to XLR cable to plug into the speaker as long as the switch on the speaker is set to receive a line-level signal and not a mic-level signal.

There might be an advantage to converting the signal from unbalanced line-level to balanced line-level, so if that's what your transformer is doing, it should be fine. If it converts it to balanced mic-level, then make sure the switch on the RCF is set to "mic."

FWIW, I use a balanced 1/4" TRS to XLR cable to connect the balanced, line-level signal from the monitor out on my powered mixer to an RCF 312a and that works just fine with the speaker set to "line."

Louis
Thanks Louis. Yep my RCF 310a is set to line. Thinking about it, the inline transformer is actually working back to front since it is designed to feed a balanced mic into a 1/4 jack socket. But there's no 'power' involved, so I guess it's just as happy to work the other way round ie how I'm using it now.

BTW, I have found the RCF to be incredibly accurate with great bass and very clear, hi-fi like reproduction quality. It accepts the speaker sims patches from the GT-10 and it sounds I'm playing a Marshall through a real 4x12!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..