View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:36 PM

I always liked it when Chet Atkins or Jerry Reed played on nylon. Then Willie Nelson. Now Zac Brown is making waves with a nylon string. But I really don't worry about how popular my instrument is.
I have a nice collection of classical guitar albums but am not a true classical player. We have a great classical guitar society in St. Louis and I have attended some great concerts. I play Gospel, hymns, country, finger style, folk, and some Celtic music and fiddle tunes. I flat pick about 10% of the time (a skill left over from my mandolin days). I was in a working bluegrass band for 6 years when I was in my 30s. Nylon strings guitars are not very welcome at bluegrass festivals and jam sessions. What a shame. Oh well. When playing with friends it doesn't matter. My nylon string guitars have been very welcome in church. Great for backing vocal music. I think the new hybrids and the great sounding acoustic amps that can give you a nice natural sound will eventually make nylon strings more welcome. Old mindsets about what you are "supposed" to play will die hard though.