View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 PM

Default Ultimate Microphone Project

After searching for a ultimate dual source setup, I decided to build my own system. Problem? I am not quite sure what I am doing... :-) Here's my progress so far, and I need some help from anyone who's handy with electronics.

I have a very nice podium mic made by electro voice (Polar Choice 18) lying around. Just for fun, I stuck the thing into my guitar sound hall and started experimenting with my PA system. I was quite shocked at its performance. The feature I like the most is that there's a switch on the mic that gives me 4 different polar patterns. 3 directional and 1 omni. As in the picture at the bottom, I liked the hyper cardioid pattern the most pleasing but the other two cardioid were bad either. I cranked it up and started strumming and picking and I couldn't get it to feedback until gain was so high that it was clipping.

So here's what I am thinking of doing. I want to purchase D-Tar wavelength pickup and add this microphone as a second source and run it through Highlander PAMDI via a stereo cable. This will give me two separate channels with individual eq before summing the channels together. So this afternoon, I strip the casing off the unit and took the guts out of this $350 microphone.

As you can see there are two electret condensers in two opposite directions. The bottom electret is the one that gives different polar patters I believe.

Now here's the question!
Do I just solder the condenser element straight to the second source of the D-Tar endpin jack? Or do I still need the preamp from the microphone? I assume I will need the preamp to get the proper power and also various polar patterns.

How would I go about the wiring? Obviously, there are two wires for each electret. One for hot and another for ground. If I were to use the entire components including the preamp, then, I would have the option to choose from the 4 patterns. In that case, I still have three wires coming out of the preamp. Black for ground, but with red and white, I am not sure how I can attach them to the wavelength endpin.

My PAMDI can send power through the ring section of the cable. But, I understand DTAR preamp will also provide power from its 18V supply. This mic requires 12-15V so I think it should work.

Love to hear your thoughts and input. I would hate to find out that I just gutted this $350 microphone for nothing.

Last edited by Solo; 11-18-2008 at 09:04 PM.