View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM

(Realistically, I may never leave my basement but then what are dreams for?)
This comment applies to me as well.

I recently purchased a Yorkville M1610 (2 x 800 watts) power mixer and a pair of Yorkville Elite EV12 (400 watts passive). My studio is a fair size with high ceilings that lends very well to the natural echo or bounce that this room provides.
I went with the recommendation at Long & McQuade and purchased these only after renting the same for a month – I could have just kept renting different speakers but I was fully satisfied with the EV12’s.
My advice is to rent the ones you are considering – only cost me $95. Including cables and stands for the month (speakers only since I already had the mixer) I can’t be sure about the Mackie SRM450 but the Yorkville NX550p is easily obtainable for rental at Long & McQuade.

Note: My performances to date are limited to open mics and I have not used the equipment that I now own outside of my studio. I just sing and play a variety of acoustic instruments only. A Traynor AM150 acoustic amp will easily handle a bar type situation for vocals as well as the instrument for 200 people. The PA and speaker system will easily handle an outdoor event upwards to 350 people – after that a sound technician really becomes a necessity as does active speakers and separate monitors. Mine is just a simple acoustic guitar setup that has the potential of a professional solution if I ever go that route – yours might be more inclined to electric guitars and effects that I do not foresee personally.

Regards, Jack

Last edited by wedge199; 12-05-2007 at 01:21 AM.