View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisanderson View Post
how comparable in sound to a factory-built guitar is the finished product? a friend of mine tells me his is very similar to a Martin ooo-28vs. anyone have a ooo-28 12 fret kit that they have made? and could comment on?

many thanks

That is why I posted the link to the sound clips - the first is my "000-18FK" which for all practical purpose is a long scale 12 fret triple ought in sitka over rose. I think it sounds very much like a 000-28VS - which is what I was after. It is light, responsive (I did some moderate scalloping), remarkably balanced. When I started out I was prepared for a complete disaster and I've been pleasantly surprised (played some blues on it last night in open D - its a pretty decent little slide axe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I also bought Bill C.'s book and I'm doing the same as you did. I think it is the best approach.

One of the things that has me excited about building kits is that certain makers of the kits allow you to substitute woods, so you could build one with a cedar top for instance. (I'm saving that idea to use after I've built 2 or 3.)
Actually that is why I didn't buy StewMac - you cannot customize their kits. On the 000 I worked with Steve Kovacik to get exactly what I wanted (bling, extra nice bearclaw in the spruce, scale length, etc). Same with the 12 - John Hall and I spend many hours designing this thing - deep bodies OM, short scale, I wanted a slot but we couldn't come up with tuners. John included everything to do the style 41 inlay including the cool little teflon stripes, prebend binding, etc. He even offered me some Braz from his stash at a $400 upcharge.

The coolest thing, however, is the LMI kit wizard. Start with a basic kit and make any substitute you want. I'm currently working on the pieces for a little parlor that I want to build for my daughter. The only thing that limits your choices is your pocket book.

Lastly, I don't see any problem storing the materials as long as you observe the normal concerns about humiditiy. Might be worth making the mold early and putting the sides in it.