View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Hi Barrett,

I'm surprised to see this thread on here. I Lost my teeth because of one of my neurological problems, Meigs syndrome. I get what is effectively lockjaw or I tic and my jaw muscles chomp down rapidly and repeatedly and VERY hard. I was exploding teeth from the extreme forces. They took all of them to try and control it and it has for the most part worked. I've broken 3 sets of dentures too. I'm kind of an extreme case.

Your mouth is going to be changing for the next 6-9 months as the bone breaks down and the dentures will not fit correctly for the better part of a year and you will need to get them refitted (relined) then. Temporary liners will work in the first year.

I recommend that you use adhesives. There are lots of kinds and brands. What I've found to work the best is the Fixodent extra hold powder. You can get it at wal mart or lots of grocery stores, walgreens etc. I've tried most of them and this works by far the best. It generally lasts me all day, which is saying something because my mouth is constantly having tics.

The adhesives do a couple things.
1) they hold the plates tight and they feel much more like a real part of your mouth.
2) they hold the plates tight so that you can bite and chew much more easily.
3) It keeps food from getting under the plate.
4) the adhesive acts as a cushion (critical for me)

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/