View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 AM

If you want to go low-tech, here's what I can remember about a street musician I saw in Boston once.

He was playing an acoustic, obviously. He had a harmonica with holder around his neck. There was another acoustic laying down in front of him (soundhole facing the sky) and his right foot was tapping a pedal (like a hi hat pedal) that drove a linkage holding a pick back and forth across the strings to strum it. This linkage also bounced a golf ball off of a cowbell each time he tapped, and I think there was a tambourine attached, so that shook with the beat as well. The left foot was pressing a series of what looked kinda like organ pedals. Each pedal made a certain combination of rubber "fingers" press down on the fretboard of the acoustic to fret a variety of chords.

So, in short, he was playing two guitars, harmonica (or singing), cowbell, and tambourine all at the same time. There may have been more, but that's what I remember. It was quite an impressive setup. I wish I had a picture.