Thread: Trembesi wood?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick View Post
I recently purchased a washburn solid rosewood parlor guitar. I was doing some specs research and some sites list the back and sides made of Rosewood. Others spec'ed Trembesi Wood?? Anybody have a clue what Trembesi wood is? I am presuming it to be a certain kind of Rosewood.

According to this thread at UGMF, you've got yourself a guitar with monkeypod B/S.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...Trembesi-.html

Interesting to note that it was another Washburn that generated the thread.

Many of the Google listings for "Trembisi wood" also call it "Samenea" and state it comes from Indonesia. A Google search on this term turned up this:

Rain Tree is a Mahogany Grain Wood
Rain Tree wood, Kayu, Suwar (or Suar), is a form of Mahogany and is a much higher quality of wood to carve with than cheaper types of wood like Kayu Pule, Kayu Sandat, or Kayu Cempaka. The Scientific name for Suwar/Suar wood is Samanea Saman and it is commonly known in the English as Rain Tree wood. Another common name for the Rain Tree is Monkeypod relating to the fact that it has seed pods which are edible.

Hard to know. I did notice that parlor back didn't quite look like EIR. Don't get too hung up on the type of wood...it's all in the sound and feel.

Hope this helps.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually