View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
A lot of 5W amps have small speakers. That's not necessarily a bad thing - guitar parts might end up high-passed in the mix anyways - but the larger-sized output transformers and 12" speaker on the Bad Cat should give you a much wider bandwidth compared to the average 5W combo.

That's also a reasonably efficient speaker. It may only be a 5W amp but it's going to blow your head off when you crank it up in a small room. If that's a problem, I have a solution.

If you need more gain, maybe try a treble booster like the Naga Viper. Of course there are a million different overdrives to choose from, each with their own character.
Thanks for the recommendation on the boost? I’ll have to check it out. My favorite thus far has been the MXR Micro Amp, but I do love trying new gear. I’ll probably miss my old Les Luis pedal now too....darn selling off gear when I had a kid and getting back into things now.

Is your too loud solution an attenuator or a iso box? I’m not too worried since I will have master and volume on this amp, my Fender Ramparte only has volume (but sounds amazing when it’s turned past 5!).

The 10” model of the AC4 still intrigued me. I honestly love a good 10” speaker on guitar. Though GC has the 10” and 12” model for the same price. I still might snag an AC4 someday if I see a green or purple on for a good price. I do think I’d avoid the 8” AC4TV though, but that’s just me.

I think the deciding factor for me was last e periwnce with Vox. I’ve owned three AC30 amps and just never had one make me yearn to play on it. I think the Bad Cat will have just a bit more low end response and tonal variation to make me like it, while retaining a Britsih flavor.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special