Thread: Phantom power
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM

The Line6 Variax 300 Classical was a guitar which was phantom powered by a power module. You could use an onboard battery with it, but battery life was very poor.

Line6 doesn't make this guitar model any more, but there may be a few used ones around. Be sure the power module comes with it.

Another (pretty expensive) option is to put passive LR Baggs Hex pickups (six individual mini-saddles with a passive pickup in each one), or passive RMC Hex pickups, in the guitar and use an outboard preamp with it. I have the passive Baggs Hex system in my thin-bodied classical. It works very well with my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ outboard preamp.

A much cheaper battery-free solution would be to put a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup system in the guitar. This is an undersaddle pickup system which uses a super capacitor to power the system. You plug the charger in for one minute and you're good for several hours of playing time (up to eight hours, they say). I had the Mi-Si Acoustic Trio in one of my guitars for awhile and it did indeed work as claimed.

I hope that gives you some useful ideas.
Gary