View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Not a huge fan of bursts on acoustic guitars, but I do like the "Gibson style" tobacco sunbursts on certain instruments. Personally, I don't care for the bright yellow/red cherrybursts at all, but the yellow/brown aesthetic definitely works for me even if there's a little bit of red toner in there. Not a fan of the standard Martin burst pattern/color scheme. Hard to put my finger on exactly why, but it's probably the edges-only spray pattern more than the choice of colors

Here's an example of the burst top version of my #1 performance flat-top: an Epi Masterbilt EF-500RAV. I have the natural top version of this guitar but would trade for a RAVS like this one in a heartbeat as long as the tone was at least as good as the one I have now

Great guitars IME, and on this particular model the burst pattern and color scheme really looks good. The black outside edges really set off the abalone purfling in a way that a natural top can't quite match

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
Even just playing by a camp fire, everyone comments MORE on my burst guitars, than my other plain guitars, which in many cases cost much more, and sound better! It often seems that when people like what they see, they are more prone to like what they hear!
Yep. I've noticed this many times, myself. To many non-musicians, it seems like natural finishes are very ordinary and nothing to get excited about but sunbursts are "special" regardless of the tonal merits of the guitar itself

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/