View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think the trance improves on the K&K in several ways. The K&K has a piezo sound that comes thru to a certain extent. There's a sound to the Trance, but it seems less "pickupy". Other things that bug me about the K&K are that there's an audible "thump" when my fingers hit the strings, and also there's the big spike that tends to occur if you hit the bridge with your hand. None of that seems to happen with the Trance M. The frequency balance also just seems wider range (once dialed in with placement). All in all, to me, the Trance sounds a lot more natural than the K&K - still a pickup tone there, but not bad. I'm especially impressed just playing thru an amp with it.

Downside is you have to have a battery and end-pin preamp, and there's no option to add a 2nd source. I think adding a small amount of mic to this would be terrific, adding a bit of air, but there's no support for a 2nd source other than adding a 2nd jack to the guitar. And of course the install is a bit more involved.
Thanks Doug! I only had about thirty minutes with the Amulet M equipped Gibson SJ but my findings were similar to yours. I was running through one of the Bose compact systems and the tone was very impressive. I too noticed the lack of thump when I hit the bridge and the frequency range was wide enough that I would have no problem using the Amulet with a full band. Being able to add an internal microphone would be great but I actually find that I don't miss the air as much with the Trance system. With the Pure Mini I am always wanting more air and a little more high end.