View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 AM

Play Acoustic became my go to as well. I also have a play GTX and when I play a duo, I have the same vocal settings programmed into it. I allow my partner to run his set up through it. He typically only uses the vocal and runs the guitar "through" the GTX so he only is using the GTX for guitar with regards to the tuner only.

I too have dropped the processing of a mixer and amp. I go Play Acoustic to a powered speaker or straight to the FOH mixer. I had added a small Mackie mixer in my set up so I could adjust the eq at my feet, but I dropped that recently to make room for a page turner pedal for my iPad on my pedalboard. I am much happier with the overall sound.

I love the vocals from this box and more this anything, to me - it makes my vocals and results of the end sound more predictable. I don't have to rely on anyone else to give me what I like. Things like compression (which is most often not available) reverb and/or delay.

I too only use a few presets. Maybe just 2-3. More for changes in the guitar settings than the vocals. Mainly when changing from songs where I strum hard to a soft fingerpicking tune. Once in a tight space, I mounted my play acoustic on the powered speaker with Velcro. I stuck with one preset only and tuned my guitar with a tuner mounted on the headstock.

Last thing I like is cable control. Two short cables (mic and guitar) running to the play acoustic and only one out to the board makes a cleaner and easier set up. Once I had so many cables in my set up, it cluttered the stage badly. I walked off during a break and my guitar cable was around my leg. I pulled my new Martin right off the stage. Never got over that damage. Only cosmetic, but still sad about it. To save on space, I now have everything mounted on my pedalboard - including my mic stand and guitar stand. Mic cord stays always on the pedalboard - very concealed and the guitar cord is very short (maybe 6 feet). Plug in my guitar, connect my play acoustic to the powered speaker (again just one cable) add power to my pedalboard and powered speaker and I am done.

All works for me and just my experiences.