View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I remember seeing that thread. That firm hold works for strumming but offers me no mobility in the fingers when picking. Heck, my thumb and index finger provide over half of my movement when picking. I don’t use my wrist as often as most apparently. Strumming is a little different, but I honestly don’t do a lot of strumming. I’m a huge flat picker.
Flatpicker here, too. We are not that far off.

If it works for you, then great. I can only tell you what I'm doing different, but not that anything I do will be better for you.

I hold the tip about the same depth as you, but its further back on my thumb towards the knuckle. moving the tip back will change the angle for you, but you may not like it. I just tried picking near the tip of my thumb like in your picture, but it's definitely not for me. Having the pick further back means my middle finger has more purchase on the pick.

I do find it really hard to flatpick quickly way out over the hole like that, though. I'm usually a bit behind the rosette, in fact.