View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

My Bose L1 Compact reproduces my acoustic guitars very well with plenty of resonant full-bass frequencies. There's no reason whatsoever that a player couldn't tune the guitar down to 70Hz and have a clear, full sound from the Bose L1 Compact. I also find it reproduces recorded music well too with plenty of good solid electric bass tone.

I also have a pair QSC K10 speakers. The biggest difference between the Bose L1 Compact and a single QSC K10 is that when the Bose L1 Compact is in its extended setup, if you're close to the Bose, you'll hear the upper mid-range and treble frequencies coming from the six-speaker array at the top of the column whereas you'll hear the bass and lower mid-range frequencies from the bottom power-stand/speaker enclosure with its 8" speaker. The farther back you stand from the Bose L1 Compact or any Bose L1 system, the more blended the overall sound is. The QSC K10 has both its drivers in a fairly compact frontal speaker area and thus when listening fairly close, you hear all frequencies coming from one position. The Bose L1 Compact can also be used in its non-extended setup with the six-speaker array nestled within the front of the power stand/speaker base. I've never listened to it this way but I'd surmise that now the Bose L1 Compact would act more like a single-point sonic source such as the QSC K10.

The one thing that can't be denied is that the QSC K10's design and onboard power can totally blow away the Bose L1 Compact if both are in a maximum loudness contest! The Bose L1 Compact has a 130-watt power amp and the QSC K10 has two 500-watt power amps. Thus, the QSC will deliver a cleaner sound to a higher listening level, and out to a greater distance than the Bose L1 Compact BUT the Bose L1 Compact will deliver good clean sound with better dispersion for smaller venues where folks are not far away. Both the Bose L1 Compact and QSC K10 deliver excellent amplified sound but they're really designed with two different listening environments in mind.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst