View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfawlty View Post
Rodeo Rick, thanks for the info. I might call Mike and ask him about my DR-41. I don't think the rosewood on mine is laminate.
The DR-41 is laminate. At the very affordable prices Sigma sells their guitars, one should not expect them to be all solid woods. If you would like to confirm this for yourself, here is a link to Sigma's website's description of the DR-41: http://www.sigmaguitars.com/dr-41.html

As for the 1970 Sigma, rarity has very little to do with commercial value when it comes not only to guitars but to pretty much anything else. Demand is the primary element in determining what something will sell for. Scarcity is secondary. For example, one of my hobbies is oil painting and I could offer one of my paintings for sale and count myself lucky to get $100 for it - barely more than the cost of the oils, canvas, and brushes it would cost me to paint it. It will be a one and only original, but the demand is not there for it. On the other hand, a painting of the same size and subject by a still living famous artist who is in very high demand will go for something like $25,000 or more. The best way to determine something's "value" in terms of cash is to auction it in a place where there are many willing and interested buyers. For something like a guitar, unless it was owned by a really famous player which can add enormous value unrelated to the guitar as a guitar, the best place to determine value these days is Ebay. Watch the Ebay auctions and track ones where a guitar actually sells and keep track of those. In a matter of a few months you will have a very accurate price range for the commercial value of a guitar. You can pretty much ignore prices when the guitar does not sell other than to note that those prices are higher than the guitar's commercial worth. Keep in mind that the commercial value is completely unrelated to sentimental value to the person selling it. If you have owned your Sigma for all of those years I doubt you would be at all satisfied to let it go for its commercial value which is about what you paid for it. Instead you should just keep it an enjoy it, or give it to a friend at some point - like I do with many of my paintings into which I have invested a lot of emotion.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple