View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
How is a screen style pop filter different than a foam mic cover?
A good pop filter will simply cut down on the air blast, without changing the sound waves that reach the microphone. This is a big difference. The plosives are a response to quick changes in air pressure, and not soundwaves (alone).

Another important difference is that with a foam mic cover you are changing the design of the mic. Any "room" that you might hope to capture will also be impacted by its presence.

A side effect of having a gooseneck type of pop filter is that it allows you to set it so it controls the distance from the mic, and do a much better job of controlling proximity effect. For folks without a good mic technique, it gives them a target to sing to that is not "eating the mic" and (in doing so) adding proximity effect that has to be dealt with in the mix.

With all that, can you live without one, sure, but I don't recommend it [doing without] if it's not intrusive.