Thread: Jester Guitars
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 03:02 PM

I'm vey happy to stumble on this thread, lots of great info!

I bought a Jester JMD63 in 1980, one of the Dutch models. It listed for $650. The salesman said it was made by some guys who quit Martin and started their own guitar company. It's been a dear friend for over 30 years, and I still have it. I've seen two others, used, each sold for about $100.

The original Jester Guitar company is long gone. The 2006 company, mentioned above, was totally different, and their website is gone. There is now another "Jester Guitars" that makes novelty cigar box guitars.

The JMD63 has a deeper body than most other dreadnaughts (4" at the neck), so great volume; it's a boomer. The Mahogany back, sides and neck really bring out the bass and midranges without overwhelming the treble, which is crystal clear. What I really love about this guitar, besides its tonal clarity and volume, is the ability to control the sound of each string, even while strumming, to bring out different moods.

Mine's been pretty beat up over the years. It's been sat on, barfed on, thrown out of a car, neck broken twice... One luthier said it was a cheap budget guitar and refused to work on it. I would love to get my hands on another.