View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmapags View Post
Another thread got me thinking about neck profile and how best to determine the best one for you. Now I know I hear a lot of "play all the different ones you can and see for yourself" but what I'm really looking for is what are the factors that go into that.

For example, if someone goes to a luthier and doesn't have a guitar they currently own that they really like the neck profile on, how does the luthier determine what might be best for them? Is it hand size, finger length... what??? I have a slightly smaller than medium hand. I tend to gravitate towards thinner C necks. But I've never played a V neck so I don't really know if that's be better. And thicker C necks I find hard to play.

Would one help me play more effortlessly or cleaner than another given my physical characteristics? Should I be playing a different style neck than I gravitate to based on initial impression and comfort?? Is there some objective approach to neck profile?

Luthiers feel free to weigh in!!

Mike
Mike,
There really is no substitute for experience in this matter, but there are some factors that are usually overlooked and once pointed out get the 'Wow........I hadn't thought of that' response.

The most overlooked factor in how a neck feels in a players hand is body shape.

I can just hear the collective 'What the h3ll is he talkin' 'bout??'

If you sit when you play then the center line of the neck will be higher, or lower, depending on the waistline of the instrument.

Another factor is the depth of the instrument which will determine how far from the player the front of the instrument projects.

The way in which these factors make a difference is the slight change you end up making in wrist angle which affects lots of things.

Yet another factor that makes a difference in how the neck feels in your hand is fret size, primarily height.

All of these things, coupled with the shape of the neck back, are going to affect each other.

So what's a guy or gal to do?

Pay Attention to yourself. Just because someone tells you that a neck is fast, it's got great action, blah, blah, it is all meaningless when it COMES TO YOU!!!

You're the one that has to feel comfortable in the end.

This kind of knowledge only comes with personal experience, so get out there and pay attention to what feels good, and what does not. Don't listen to salesmen, for the most part.

Happy hunting.

HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/