View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM

Mike:

You're asking a great question....one that I've given much time and thought to.

For me, I got lucky. My 98' 612ce has that classic Pre-NT Slim Carve neck profile that many talk about here. It is the perfect profile -- one that fits my hand and playing style to a "T". If fact, if I ever custom order, i will take detailed measurements and drawings of that neck to have it duplicated perfectly. The only other Taylor's I have that are even close is my 512ng - and interestingly enough my XXX-KE.

But, maybe there is a "scientific" method the pro luthiers use? I did understand your point..... that maybe there's a "formula" they can use, or some "tried and true" method of getting you into the right nick size. Sort of like walking into a really great Tailor (that kind) and saying "make me a suit that fit's perfectly.....and they take it from there). That would be interesting to know about.

I can't help but think it might all be "trial and error" -- play as many different profiles as you can until you find one that feels best to you.

Do you live near any of the larger shops (Elderly, etc)? They have such a variety of models on display and accessible. I still play as many as I can when there.... and always come to the same conclusions in terms of what "works best for me".

Hope this helps - and keep us informed.

All the best!
Taylorplayer

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 09-30-2008 at 07:21 AM.