View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 AM

I strum over the soundhole and actually tend to edge towards the start of the neck to get a sound with more depth.

Right now I am playing on an Alvarez RD8 but in the past have used a Joshua (obscure brand as far as I can tell), an Epiphone Dove (now that was a bright guitar), a Washburn whose name/model escapes me at the time, and countless others. Never a Taylor or Martin though.. sadly. I use mostly D'addario or Martin strings and haven't ventured outside of those much. Any suggestions for good strings? A. Dingle suggests "silk and steel" strings.. are those Martin or GHS? Or both?

Basically I've spent most of my life traveling nonstop between the States and Europe, both western and eastern. I've always been on the move and have gone through tons of guitars, mostly cheapos that I pick up in small obscure shops and keep with me until for whatever reason I have to get rid of it or leave it at an airport or train station. Well now I finally have some time to "invest" in a decent guitar (though hopefully under 1k) and wanted to try my best to find something that had a sound I love. I can't say I've ever played a guitar whose sound knocked the wind out of me.. and that is what I want.

Are Epiphone Masterbilt series guitars pretty good? I rarely see a bad word about them. And is the hope of drawing out a bassy tone from a Seagull just a pipedream of mine? Everything about that brand seems ideal on paper except the lack of bass.

Thanks for the quick responses.