View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASmusic View Post
Yeah sorry, G/B is what I meant.

I tried throwing an F chord in there and overall it makes the chord progression sound good. It's just the combination with the chorus (D, Bb, C, A) that's throwing it off.

I don't know if it's my tempo approach or what.
The chorus is rather fast on the chord changes. I don't know music well, I guess it'd be like a half measure?
Think of it like Layla, it hits each chord in the chorus once. Same idea here. As matter of fact, my "original chorus" was D, Bb, C, D.. But changed it due to similarities with Layla.

I also really like the chords Amy suggested. It has that dark kinda sound I'm looking for when sung with my lyrics. But again, it goes into the chorus great.. But getting out of the chorus is the problem... It seems forced. Idk why. It could be my tempo or my mind is trying to hear something else and playing tricks on me.

I've never had this trouble before. Lol.
I can hear this great song in the works, but can't find it.

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk
What do have at the moment for the verse? amyFB's chords? I can see them fitting well (standard i-iv-V-i in the parallel minor), and the chorus ought to link to them well enough. The A would go to Dm quite naturally - but maybe it's just too neat?
I just tried playing that chorus through a few times (Layla-style ), and I think following the last A with a G (major) helps make a breathing space. (If you're using the descending D-C-B-Bb-A line, then a G is the obviously logical follow-on.)
Gm also sounds good, and either would go to Dm, IMO. Or you could put another A in again, for a bit more tension before the Dm.

The other thing I'd try is changing how long each chord lasts (in the verse). It's become a really boring convention in rock music to make each chord last the same time (normally 2 beats each or 4 beats each).

Another option would be to go to a different key for the verse (Layla can be your inspiration here too ). E.g., after the last A of the chorus, go to an E chord. E can then go to Am, for a verse in Am (Am-Dm-E) in whatever order); or to F#m for a verse in that key (F#m-Bm-C#7 in whatever order). Sounds quite dramatic then to come out of that into a D major chord.

However, what I do in this situation is get myself a melody for the verse. I assume you have one (or words and some idea of tune) for the chorus. If not, get one now! And then sing a verse melody by feel. Find an opening note or two (or three) that sounds comfortanle to sing after the chorus, where your voice naturally wants to go. Then find what chord(s) fit those notes. Doesn't have to have any logical connection to the chorus - although if the notes feel natural to sing, then it should.
It's really important to remember that a chord sequence is not a song. A "song" is something you sing. You can't sing chords. What you sing is a melody. Without a melody, a chord sequence can basically go anywhere. There are almost infinite options for what chord changes sound good. Chords can sometimes inspire melodies, but the melody rules in the end.

Last edited by JonPR; 02-16-2017 at 01:43 PM.