View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Bobby1note, it's experience like yours that keeps me from being too reticent about recommending modified sine inverters (and which leads me to believe boxes like the Duracell 600 can be fine low to moderate use solutions).

The advantages of pure sine are dramatic on the efficiency side though , which means less battery weight for the same run time and couple that with lower power supply stress, those things lead me to recommend pure sine to people using the systems more than every once in a while.

I'm big on the sound quality issues as well .Only the most expensive OEM solutions can compete with moderately priced amps run through an inverter set. There's no comparison.
It's my understanding that amps with "lesser-quality power-supplies", may be more prone to to having issues with MSW inverters. Frankly, the solution is not very complicated; if it(the rig) makes any kind of noise whatsoever, unplug it, and go with a PSW inverter. That said however, when shopping for a MSW inverter, I'd look to a quality-built unit, and stay away from the cheap junk that's so common out there. I stay away from models with permanently attached power-cables and alligator clips,,, or the type that you can plug and charge in a vehicles' cigarette lighter. The Xantrex MSW inverters came with their own power-cables, which always worked well for my applications, (no overheating issues) When I connect the cables to the battery, I use the eyelet-style cable-ends, connected to the threaded 1/4" posts of the battery, and those posts are standard-equipment with the larger batteries. I secure the battery connections with wing-nuts. I make all connections with the inverter turned "off", then turn "on" only when I'm sure everything is a 'go".

When I put together my first battery-powered set-up, I had looked at the portable DuraCell units, but frankly, I didn't think one of those tiny batteries would be enough to get me through a gig. I may have been wrong about that,,, but as far as I was concerned, risking the possibility of running out of juice mid-show was simply not an option. Granted, the 115ah battery I bought is bulkier/heavier, but it does the job (and then some),,, plus, it can do many jobs "other than" power music gear.(camping for example, or running power-tools, running electric trolling motors (fishing) etc)

Last edited by Bobby1note; 05-27-2016 at 07:59 PM.