View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM

Some of his stuff is a little depressing, but Jackson's best songs are some of my favorite songs. From what I've read, the pickups he uses are similar to the old FRAP pickups. From what I've read, placement of those pickups is critical but Jackson's guitar tech has outfitted many guitars with them and has that critical placement down. I thought about trying them, but I'm going to stick with K&K. Just ordered two sets of the Pure Minis - one set for my Taylor and one set for my new Blueridge BR-163.

Here's a little Tech Talk from Jackson Browne from this link http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...e/jan-06/16594 :

Question: How do you amplify your acoustics?
Answer: I use a pickup and a mic. The pickup is called the Lens from Trance Audio. There are two pieces to the pickup: one that goes under the treble strings and one for the bass strings. It’s tricky to find exactly the right spot for both parts. Bill Asher, who works on my guitars, has gotten really good at finding the sweet spot. We’ve made peace with the installation process and I think it’s worth it.

This Trance pickup is inspired by the original Frap pickup from the ’60s and ’70s. I learned about the Frap from Neil Young. We did a gig together and I thought my sound was pretty good until I heard him. I couldn’t believe how big and loud and true his guitar sounded.

So I use the Lens system in all my guitars. There’s a special 5-pin cord that comes out of the guitar into their preamp. Then I plug into a Clark Technics stereo EQ. That allows me to balance both sides of the Lens pickup and balance my levels for strumming or fingerpicking. When I play solo, I also use a mic—a Neumann KM 184—pointed where the neck joins the body.