View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 12:35 PM

I think hand build is a misnomer carried from the past when every piece of wood was shaped by an individual. Factory built was when a bunch of people built something, usually different parts of that end something.
Handbuilt today to me means an individual builder cause almost all builders use some type of powered tool from band saw to cnc.
Handbuilt doesnt insure quality. What it does is to allow the builder to vary specs. Alternately it can cause the quality to go heavens high. I had a Kronbauer guitar that looked better than any Martin Ive ever seen.
I have two handbuilt guitars. One was built entirely by one person and the other by two individuals. Both are excellent instruments with different specs that for different purposes.
I buy handbuilt because I want specs that I cant find in factory guitars.
I think a person should by a factory guitar if you can cause you are assured of what you are buying.
Handbuilt is a gamble for many builders unless you buy an Olson etc which has great consistency. His shop is a great illustration of my first statement. He is so mechanized that he almost could be called a machine operator.
I prefer the word custom as it avoids the implications of the word handbuilt.