Thread: 1973 Martin D28
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratz View Post
Hi everyone. A friend has asked me to try and sell a guitar for him. Its a 1973 Martin D28 and he says it is in good to vg condition. It has a little wear because it was played. He also said something about it being special due to the size of the sound hole size being larger and the practice was discontinued after that model (Never heard of it myself) .
He says he has had it appraised at $xxxx.00 and in writing from a luthier.

He wants me to try ebay and I have no idea what to sell it for. He mentioned a minimum xk .
  1. Is this reasonable?
  2. Was/is this some special edition guitar
Thanks for your time.
A 1973 D-28 can be a good guitar, but it is no better than any from the more current crop. Many of the seventies guitars were overbuilt, and their tone can reflect that. Some of the early seventies Martins have some QC issues like an incorrectly placed saddle. Correctable problems, but potential issues nonetheless. And that's before you even consider that a guitar of that age might have age related issues like cracks, pickguard separation, neck angle, etc.

If it had an enlarged soundhole, it's likely that that has been done by a previous owner, and it will hurt its value instead of enhancing it.

IMHO, your mentioned minimum price is pretty optimistic. (I suspect that the mods will take issue with you mentioning prices BTW.)

Last edited by brokepick; 05-30-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Price removal