View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Eric Skye

I think it’s more about what pickup and/or mic you're using, and your likely application, than amp A is better than B.

I’ve had two AER Compact 60’s and two Loudboxes (as well as Ultrasound and SWR ) all great amps, but each one excelled at different things. I just picked up a Loudbox 100 yesterday, because I needed a smaller amp (first gig will be this afternoon).

I’ve personally found with the K&K Mini the Loudbox is the only one that I don't need extra EQ to get a great tone. I think this is because the mid range is at 1.2Khz. On the other hand, with a soundhole mag I would need an outboard eq, because I need that mid pot at about 500hz to kill the soundhole pickup strat tone thing. With the compact 60 I absolulty needed outboard eq for the K&K, however with the a soundhole mag I could plug straight in and get far and alway the best mag tone I’ve ever heard.

To me the fishman Performer was the best with mic only. It’s also nice that it has 48V. I was a little bummed the Loudbox 100 only has 24V. I don’t remember how the mics worked with the AER as I was in more of a pckup faze then. I’ve never tried a Schertler David.