View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Having looked into it further, both Baritones I've played, the Furch one, and the Taylor 8 string one (which I liked but not the 8stringness) are both 16-1/4" lower bout, which is definitely on the "smaller" but more "typical" side for most of the baritones. This actually surprised me, I definitely thought the Furch in particular would have been wider, closer to 17" but it wasn't.

It also seems most of the acoustic basses do have lower bouts in the 17" and wider region going up to as big as you like!!! This is leading me to think that it probably is possible to do both on one shape, but it'll be a slightly wider then 'normal' baritone and a slightly narrower bass.

One another point, I did the calculation and moving from 32" scale to 34" scale moves the neck join almost perfectly from the 12th fret to the 13th fret. So not really as much of a gain as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the info on the bracing, that will be very useful if it comes to creating my own 'design'.

Yep I absolutely would be putting a pickup in the acoustic bass, and i've already been thinking of that and i'd be leaning towards something like the LR Baggs Anthem SL.

David