View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Yamaha Review

One showed up in my stocking Christmas morning. Still can't decide if it is a cool toy, decent uke or cheap guitar. I tried a couple of different tunings with it and went back to A to A.

I like my Pono baritone uke better, but this guitalele is about 3 inches shorter with smaller bouts and sturdier construction. I might try to take it on a trip next time I go somewhere. I am less worried about breaking it than the baritone uke and even my soprano uke. Also it is a lot cheaper than the ukes and guitars I have in case I break it and have to replace it. Got it for the price of a decent tuner (and with a decent tuner thrown into the deal as a lagniappe from what I gather from talking to Santa. A spare set of guitalele strings too).

I would rather have a guitar with me, but this guitalele may be enough in a pinch. It also stretches my brain as I transpose to get back to the same key I play guitar to accompany my singing. The strings are too floppy to tune much more than a step below standard uke tuning. I also have to tune it a lot. I suspect the strings will stay in tune better once they stop stretching so much.

Tone is OK. Roughly like a concert uke. It gets a little tight after about the 5th or 6th fret so I mostly stick to cowboy chords.

Would I have bought one for myself? No.

Will I keep it? Probably.

Hope everyone is having a great new year.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?