View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
I have a friend that loves guitar and loves playing, but he has a trouble advancing his skills. He took some lessons, and he got little better but not much.
He is very frustrated, and is asking me for advices all the time. I gladly give him advices and show him some stuff as best I could, but most of the time he doesn't heed them properly. But then I noticed very strange thing. He starts working on a song but never finishes it. And that isn't just with the guitar. It was with pretty much with everything he does: movies, listening songs, speaking to you etc...
It looks like he cannot concentrate and finish one thing before moving on to the next. I am suspecting he has some form of ADHD or ADD.

I noticed in my own playing, that I have improved significantly once I started finishing songs I'm working on before moving on to the next one.

I think in day and age of Facebook, Twitter and iPhone we all suffer some form of environmental form of ADD that effects our guitar playing. I think we need to train/force our brain to concentrate on one thing before moving on to the next. It helped me tremendously. Even if I start reading crappy book, I will force myself to finish it.
This article I read today actually confirms that multitaskers underperformed singletaskers in pretty much all given tasks.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/a...dy-082409.html

I would be very interested to hear if someone has similar experiences.

(please move it to the correct forum if this doesn't belong here)
Volt,
I was diagnosed ADD about 12 years ago and Ritalin has helped me immeasureably. I am also dyslexic, by the way.

Guitar has always been easy for me to concentrate, or hyperfocus on. This is the case with many who are actually ADD or ADHD.

It sounds more like a lack of real interest in your friend's situation...........I guess if the guitar would text him back, or play itself, he might find it more satisfying.......

Unlike texting, twitter, etc, guitar actually requires work to make it really pay off.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/