View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

One overlooked piece of gear that I always make sure I have, at least in the trunk of the car: a long, heavy duty extension cord. I might only need it once in 20 gigs, but when you look for the nearest power outlet at an outdoor patio gig and its 75' away, you'll be glad you have that cord nearby. Don't ask how I learned this, it's an ugly story.

Oh, and I heartily recommend the Soloamp for solo guitar/vocals. You can often find a used one for $700 or so, and it has its own stand so you won't need anything else. Sets up in minutes and is a one trip load in and load out. As you do more gigs that will become more and more of an issue. It also can cover most any sized venue that would book a solo act, big or small.

As for the gig itself, try to have fun, people really pick up on that. Remember-they want you to do well (except for the other guitar players who will be silently comparing themselves to you). 50 minutes on with a 10 minute break is my standard schedule, but I sometimes do 90 minute sets if the crowd is into it. And be respectful and courteous to the employees where you're playing, especially the bartenders (if there is one). They can be very helpful in helping you get repeat bookings.