View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 03:30 AM

Default Tuning pegs mounting screws stripped

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I dug out my Yamaha Red Label FG150 out of the closet after 30 years, after deciding to get back into accompanying my singing on guitar. A circa 1970 guitar, my first, appeared to be in good shape and the bass has actually improved slightly with age. I'm surprised to discover the FG150 has developed a cultish following despite it's tinny, reedy tone.

I just noticed two of the tuners slightly pulled out of the headstock by string tension. When I tightening the mounting screws, the mounting screws on all six tuners turned without resistance. I removed one of the tuners and found the area around the screw holes were "soft" as if the area around the holes experienced some kind of rot or invasion of moisture. The screw heads were also corroded. The "toothpick" trick probably won't work: I'll need to drill out 12 sizable holes and pound a wooden plug into each hole, and where do I get new screws?

Is my Yamaha worth fixing or should I let my Yamaha die a peaceful death? Should I use this to justify buying a nice new guitar like a Martin D28? Thanks.

Last edited by rodmeister; 12-29-2010 at 04:10 AM.