View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Wait, you guys been talking about Hawaiian kine stuffs without me? Auē nohoʻi I got some catching up to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
In the immortal words of my kumu (teacher) Keola Beamer, "It's great to be in the band playing for hula dancers. You are always on the naughty side of the wiggles". The challenge is concentrating on your playing.......
Keola is one kolohe dude! But seriously, I play and sing for hula hālau in competitions, and my rule is to never look at the dancers at all, because if I get distracted and mess up… thereby causing them to mess up, or just making us musicians sound bad… I'd feel terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My primary bass these days IS a ukulele -- the Kala U-bass. Since getting it my Squier P-bass and the Lace four string that was gifted to me have stayed in their cases. The little U-bass is so fun to play, and very portable. It does take a bit to get used to the rubbery strings -- your touch must be lighter.
I have the original rubber band bass, the Guild-Ashbory from the mid '80s. It's a tiny solid body fretless, and sounds amazing, although it's a bit challenging to play in tune, being that itʻs fretless and such a short scale. I don't know if its the case with the u-basses, but the Guild-Ashbory strings tend to be very sticky to the touch, and you have to use talcum powder on the fingers of your fingering hand or you wouldn't be able to slide!