View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Evan, I'm quite familiar with the Farallon uke. One of the folks from my ukulele club has one. He ordered it without the side sound port originally, then sent it back to Joe to have the oval port added after a couple of months. He likes the improvement of the sound to his player position. I'm not sure the sound port was necessary, but never played it much before the conversion.

Last Monday night at out jam, I swapped with him for my Big Island koa ukulele KT-TR, and played his Farallon for 90 minutes. Farallon is among the finest tenor ukulele I have ever played and cut through just fine while leading 20 other players / singers. My primary koa ukulele is: http://bigislandukulele.com/products...html#product03

I know I am "doomed" to eventually get a Farallon. I played one of the first CF ukulele they made at NAMM in 2010 and eventually crossed paths with the buyer and played it again a few years alter. My only hesitation is that I just got my X20-12 last week, and on impulse bought one of the Alvarez ABT-60 baritone guitars during the recent Stupid Deal of the Day sale. Two guitars arriving within a week?? And I bought a Blackbird Lucky 13 last October. I am supposed to be thinning down the "herd", but seem to be accumulating more instruments all the time. Selling the other guitars off seems to be an issue for me -- it just never happens.

Ultimately I am thinking ahead to travel with a Lucky 13, the X20-12, and a Farallon ukulele. All of these composite instruments could safely live in our pop-up A-liner trailer behind the F-150 as we do road trips, once my wife retires in January. With my guitars in the cab, there would still be room for her flutes (standard, alto, and bass flute) in the cab with us. (Flutes are somewhat heat sensitive, since the key pads are adhered by wax).