View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Shifting gears

It's time to shift gears on this project. All the inside work seems to be completed. I'm going to put a battery in the Fishman control box and make sure its operational but before long I will be refitting the back to the body.

I'm not faced with securing the body profile to match the backs outline. Exterior pattern based on the backs outline profile,(minus the binding rout I guess). I am also thinking of dowel supports internally, 1/4" or 3/8" to hold the shape front to rear and side to side. String tied to the dowels to dislodge them and cut them for removal. Maybe. Its the next learning curve.

I've got to clean up my meager workspace. stow the tools. My living room looks like a workshop. I have a drill press on the dining table. The unused 2nd bedroom is going to be emptied and re purposed. Guitar projects, amp projects, cabinet projects and so forth.

So it's reorganization and cleanup time.

Meanwhile the "plate-mate" was affixed with scotch double sticky tape. It was the skinniest and stickiest. It stuck really well and I put a very thin bead of Titebond around the perimeter of the plate with a toothpick for extra peace of mind. The foamy double stick tape looked too thick and I'm sure would have sucked tone right out of the bridge.

I also made a spool clamp. I don't know if I'll be using these or trying the elastic band method. Either way neither matters much until I get the back and body fitted and happy. I could rout whatever small difference is left after gluing but I don't want to do that. I'm talking 1/8"-1/16" split over two directions. I can make this fit.

While winding down the repair procedure, I gave the back a few thin coats of Tru-oil with #000 steel wool scuffing. It made me feel good as I contemplated and analyzed my next direction course.

Many thanks and wishes for the New Year to all who look in and follow this.