View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM

First, thank you for sharing David. It takes a ton of courage to put yourself out there. I find your melodies inspired, but it isn't "groove" that's lacking, it's musicality.

In all of Western music and much or Eastern music as well there is always some sort of meter involved. I say meter rather than rhythm because meter allows the artistry that I believe you're going after, but with something of a stable element involved. Typically most music that I've played has had some sort of "pulse", whether it be 8th notes, 16th notes (never had a base faster than 16ths) which help establish a "motor" for all the parts of the music to follow, even if there is some rubato (or artistic pulse variation). Your recordings, David, seem to lack any kind of rhythmic congruity and frankly make the work difficult to listen to. I play multi-meter stuff all the time, but have only played music with no rhythmic pulse at all only on occasion for a brief special effect. While I would call your melodies somewhat captivating, I'd describe your lack of any rhythmic pulse as "untidy" at best and difficult to listen to.

So as far as answering the question (paraphrased) "should I focus on melody or the groove" I think the weak link in your creations is establishing pulse, even if in multi-meter format which is an element to now blend into your melodic creations. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS