Thread: Sound Port
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
....Play facing a corner and you'll hear what everyone else hears. Not much good for performing, but great if you want to know what your audience hears.....
My favorite place to play to judge my instrument's tone is sitting in the focus of my kitchen's bay window, looking out over my back yard. Three large pieces of glass reflect the direct sound back at me, and the experience is completely different than even playing in a "live" or reverberant room. The near-field reflections from glass are more immediate sounding than the enveloping sound of a reverberant room.

I have experimented with impromptu sound ports by opening up the barn door on my guitars that have those -- not a lot of difference. There is a 1-7/8" diameter sound port in the upper bout of my Blackbird Lucky 13 (00 sized). I have tried covering that port with my hand while strumming open chords and don't really notice much difference. I presume that Blackbird experimented with various sound port locations and sizes as they developed this excellent little guitar. The sound port is now standard, but they will also build one without it upon request.