Thread: Sound Port
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Musical minimalist

There are so many variables that come into play with placement, size, original body size of the guitar, what the current tonal picture is....etc, etc.

I'm guessing your guitar is probably leaning toward the bright side of the spectrum? If so, I think you may find a benefit from a propertly placed port or ports (my preference normally)

I've ported probably two dozen guitars and have found my ear really likes starting very small and putting them on both bouts like this:

This is a Cordoba C9 classical that pretty much went from an good sounding classical to one that keeps up with those many times it's price.

Start with maybe a couple of dime size holes and see what it starts sounding like. I wouldn't go too much larger than that with a Parlor sized instrument.

To get the most out of ports - you really need to sit and play somewhat in the classical position so the ports are staring right at you. If you stand and play with a guitar on a strap and up against your belly, you are already greatly reducing the tone and volume of the instrument and the ports will be of little consequence.

Here's what I've almost always found to be true regarding ports:

They tend to increase the output out front slightly - working like a breather hole on a gas can.

Almost always fattens up thin or shrill sounding trebles.

Evens out the response of the guitar across the spectrum making it easier to record (especially true with classicals)

General warming up the tone and increasing the volume coming up to the player.

Last edited by fitness1; 03-27-2017 at 12:27 PM.