View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 01:22 PM

I enjoyed listening to this. While it may be "simple" harmonically from a jazz player's perspective, there is nothing simple about playing a piece well. It is so difficult to have every note right in the pocket. You achieve this.

I can't help but be reminded of a few jazz players I've known that have spend so much time and effort playing outside, using tritone substitution, and other methods of building more elaborate material around advanced harmony. Sometimes, those players have trouble playing something that is simple in harmony. They "hide" behind the advanced harmony. In the abstract, it also reminds me of a similar phenomenon in right hand arpeggio practice. I've known many students focusing all of their time with more complex right hand patterns, but then still not being able to play a simple, P,I,M,A or P,I,M,I pattern well.

What I am trying to say is, it is very difficult to play as well as you did. Many advanced players can't easily do this. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks. Great playing!