View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Default Success!

After taking a couple of GB tutorials, I was able to lay down a drum track, percussion, bass, and organ to a simple I/IV/V loop, and then a few takes on a supporting rhythm and lead guitar sound. I am very pleased with the quality of the output...just about what I would have hoped for considering what I have in the system $ wise. I am a very tactile learner, so I need to actually do it before the lessons are learned, and that adds to the time needed to learn the software, but I am pretty happy with what I have aid down.

I couple of key learnings:

I think I have an old revision of GarageBand (3.0.5) in that there are some arranging functions that don't seem available to me (assigning/naming regions, etc.)

I am having a tough time in changing the key of the bass lines and the keyboards. Fore example, I can lay down and repeat the 12 bar blues, but can't easily change the key when the song changes to the IV or V chord. I learned to transpose the chords, but this is different than changing it to accommodate a I/IV/V. I am sure there is a simple way yo do it...perhaps I need to study the GB forums more.

The next step for me is arranging and editing. I can see why sound men earn their pay...it took ~4 hours just to lay down 6 tracks of a 36 bar song, and most of that was getting to the point where I could lay down the guitar, I am sure the learning curve is steep, but am wondering, once I flatten it out if I will find GB limiting and should look at Logic.

More as events allow.

Bret