View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 AM

I am on the same path and hoping to arrive in about 5 years. (I REALLY hope so)

Tired of trying to get along with 4-5 other people in a band situation and after listening to a paid duo at a gig a couple of years ago who I thought were terrible, I decided to get a good acoustic and go out there solo. I never sang much but I like to sing. I seem to get a lot of compliments on my singing (and still can't figure out why)

Having had invested in a larger quality sound system already (for the band), I am fully aware that you get what you pay for. (Buy once/cry once) My advice is to put the time in NOW (especially that you don't presently feel pressure to but right away) and check out all you can. Go to other solo/duo gigs and see what they are using. Be critical in your listening and make note of what you like and what you don't like about the sound. Try out as much as you can now and start saving your money so you get what you want the first time.

I never tried out any of the Bose or the Fishman SoloAmp and would sure love to someday. I have heard the L1 a couple of times and although it seems to cover well and sound good, there is something about it that I can't quite put my finger on that I don't care for.

I went with small powered speakers and a small passive board. Soon after went a little larger on the speakers while being very conscious of the weight factor. Love the pair of 12's I use.

Enjoy the journey!