View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post
I’m reallly interested to understand where you put this guitar regarding size and sound, playability and best style for in comparison with the Traugott R, Kostal Om and Md you have owned.
A lot of people have PM'ed me about this. It's an obvious question, especially the Kostal vs. Sands comparison as both did Ervin's apprenticeship and build a similar guitar, ostensibly at least. All are fabulous guitars that anyone would be proud to own. I certainly was. As I've said several times, I sold the Traugott because I got uncomfortable with the price of entry. Jason's guitars, while not as expensive, have headed rapidly in that direction. That's what happens when your guitars are highly sought after. I sold my Kostals because I got seriously interested in nylon and needed to fund a lifetime guitar that came up (haha; whatever that is).

I've played Kostals that I've preferred to Traugotts, and vice-versa. I've played Claxtons that I've preferred to both...and vice-versa. Guitars from the same maker sound different: Different woods, same wood different billet, different size, scale length etc. etc.

What I will say again is this; the Sands lives with those guitars no problem. No problem at all. Everybit as good. Do I feel I am lacking anything these days when I need to pick up my steelstring. No. Not one bit.

If pushed hard, overall, I'd say that the Sands/Traugott/Claxton (someone else I place in that group in a heartbeat) can sound extraordinarily sweet and appealing to the player. The Kostal is a little stronger sounding and projects better, with better separation and more ability to overdrive it. I think Jason sprinkles a little bit of Sobell in there somewhere. Someone who likes Greenfields would probably prefer the Kostal to the others.

I've bought and sold a load of guitars over the last 10 years; I like the chase but it can drive you crazy. For the moment, I'm completely happy with the Sands. That's it. I have a couple of guitars here that I will prbably move on because the Sands doesn't want for anything, for the type of stuff I play on steel string, which is slow airs (except for when I'm failing to be Martin Carthy and that requires a completely different type of instrument).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post
Sands Mmd seems to compare with Kostal Mdw, have you had the oppotunity to compare them.
I've not played a Kostal MMD so not had a chance to compare directly. I'd predict that they'd sound more like one another than they would to a Martin! Same mentor, same apprenticeship, same body size, and different ingredients in their own special sauce.

I've played a ton of apprentice guitars and those from the Master himself. They're all - within certain constraints - building the same type of guitar. I don't really buy this "signature tone" stuff at all. Blindfold a player and then stick a Somogyi/Kostal/Sands/Kraut/Gaffney/Buendia etc. in their hand and I very much doubt they could tell the difference because, if there is any, it's completely overwhelmed by the influence of the body size, scale length, wood species, and wood variation. Change the strings and the guitar sounds completely different. All you can do is try and get your hands on "a good one" by whoever you choose to build you one.

Cheers,
Steve