View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustiman
I just really like the Taylor neck/action, I can play it much longer
Acustiman,
Like Jeff M said, don't let action out of the box scare you. Taylor sets their action very low right from the factory. They have cashed in on folks playing them at the guitar store and liking that low action.

Some companies like Martin tend to leave the saddle higher, opting for more robust sound due to that higher saddle. A large percentage of Martin buyers are into bluegrass and volume and punch is more desireable. It's easier and less expensive to shave a saddle to get lower action than to buy and carve a new one and get more volume.

The bottom line is almost any guitar can be set up to play as easily as a Taylor. If you remove that obstacle it will open up a bunch more choices. And while Taylor's neck profile is comfortable, it's not unlike profiles every other manufacturer offers.

I would agree with others, when you desribe the tone you're after, Taylor doesn't come to mind. I owned a Taylor 810 Engelmann that I purchased after playing a ton of 10s. I longed for the same tone you're after.

More sustain, a little warmer... Have you played the Larrivee D60? It's a sloped dread, Sitka and Rosewood. More sustain and a little warmer comes to mind when I think of that guitar. The D50 is Mahogoney and Sitka. It sounds a bit prettier.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the AGF.
The AGF -- were not just Taylor anymore

max