View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippet View Post
Hi

I went to my local shop today to try out a few guitars.

Played a couple of Taylors(one was a 312ce) and they were very nice to play straight off the bat.

Played a couple of Martins including a D28 and though (for me) the sound of the Martins was warmer than the Taylors,the set up on all the Martins was not great at all.

The sound of the D28 won the day for me and I really want one but the set up didn't make it as comfortable to play as I hoped,whats the score with Martin set ups?

Thanks
Martin's historical roots are in bluegrass and folks, bluegrassers expecially like a higher action to allow for aggressive flatpicking. Most Taylors are acoustic electrics with low action that suits their purpose.

The latest Martins are coming with a lower action than years ago but still higher than Taylor. The expectation with a Martin is to get a setup to suit the owner, also Martin dreads come with mediums and most Taylors lights, that too influences feel.

A setup is not a big deal, like getting fitted for a suit, every guitar should have a setup, even if you like it stock almost any guitar will play better if you have it set up to your liking by a good luthier.

I do my own setups anymore and the first thing I do when I buy a guitar is take it home and "set it up".

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)