View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Just remember that the imports are just that. And that Nationals and Mules are handmade (the mule more-so) USA products. National being a relatively "small shop", and Mule being a "workshop" situation.

Nothing against the imports, but they are what the are. Watch videos on the production floor of National and Mule. Just as an unbiased person wouldn't expect a "masterbuilt" epiphone to hold it's own against a nice Collings in terms of workmanship, material selection, etc. you can't expect the import resonators to compare either.

If you do, you simply do not have any respect for the instrument style called resonator guitar. National and Mule probably takes as much time to fit the neck as some imports to take to put together.

Again, nothing against imports guitars. I just bought an Epiphone Korean made guitar and love it. But I'm not going to compare it Gibson custom shop just because I happen to own it.

Single cone biscuit guitars are in my opinion the hardest one to get a great tone out of. If someone does, that is to their credit. They developed the skills/techniques to do so. I say this having owned both wood and metal Nationals. I still own a brass National Singlecone, and when I pick it up I have to pull great sounds out of it. Not so with the Tricones. And while the spider-cones are not to my taste soundwise, they also want to sing prettily when I have played one.

That's just my opinion. They all have their little foibles, but biscuits take more dedication to learn. There's lots of sloppy cacophenis playing out there being passed off as "rustic"

The big giveaway to me is when someone uses the term "trash-can like". They aren't supposed to sound like that. If it does, there's a small chance it's on purpose. Ask them to play clean and clear if they make that claim.