View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
On the guitar, if you really get a handle on the CAGED system, all keys are equal. I have no trouble playing in a jazz group, which I have done. Horn players want to be in Bb or Eb. Singers have to be in the keys that match their vocal range. A guitar player who intends to work in these environments needs to have that fluency.

Tony
They are all equal, even without CAGED. I do know how CAGED works, but I don't really look at the fretboard that way. I look at it as smaller intervals, all the finger-shapes related to scales and scale degrees, 4ths, minor 3rd, major 3rd... I'm still working on putting that knowledge into fast muscle memory, but I understand it. Beyond, possible physical limitations, like... by the time I get to the 14th fret my guitar sounds like a cheap uke, why do people think these keys are different? We're probably getting off topic, but Tony, can you explain it? I'm not saying that dkstott thought this. He's clearly working above my pay grade. But why if someone knows how to play an F are they afraid of a F#? I don't get it.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 04-20-2017 at 09:36 PM.